Go to top of page

Bridging study

What is a bridging course for overseas-trained professionals?

A bridging course is one that will enable you to meet specific academic or professional requirements for entry to a listed professional occupation in Australia. If you are undertaking a bridging course as an overseas-trained professional then you may access a FEE‑HELP loan if you meet the eligibility criteria.

Listed professional occupations are those occupations listed on the Skilled Occupation List and start with number '2' under the ANZSCO Code column. The Skilled Occupation List (opens in a new window) can be found on the Department of Home Affair's website.

For FEE‑HELP purposes, your course is not a bridging course for overseas-trained professionals if it:

  • provides a qualification beyond basic entry level to your profession;
  • leads to a higher education award, such as a postgraduate degree;
  • provides training for an occupation that is not a listed occupation;
  • is a general English language training course; or
  • exceeds one year of full-time study (or the part-time equivalent)

Return to top

Am I eligible for FEE‑HELP for my bridging course?

In addition to the above criteria, students must also hold an 'assessment statement' issued by an assessing body for overseas-trained professionals.

Assessing bodies for listed professional occupations are those bodies listed in the Assessing Authority column in the Skilled Occupation List (opens in a new window). (Where an assessing body is not limited to a particular State or Territory, it may issue assessment statements in all States and Territories).

Tuition fees for bridging courses for an overseas-trained professional are set by individual higher education providers. As an overseas-trained professional you may be eligible for a FEE‑HELP loan to help you pay your tuition fees if:

  • you are enrolled in a bridging course for overseas-trained professionals course with an eligible provider;
  • your course meets the FEE‑HELP eligibility criteria for bridging courses;
  • you are an Australian citizen or you have a permanent visa; and
  • you will reside in Australia for the duration of your course.

Return to top

How do I apply for a FEE‑HELP loan?

To apply for FEE‑HELP, you will need to get a Request for FEE‑HELP assistance form from your higher education provider. See Applying for FEE‑HELP for more information.

Return to top