Go to top of page

Applying for HECS-HELP

How do I apply?

To apply for a HECS-HELP loan, you will need a tax file number (TFN) and a Request for Commonwealth support and HECS‑HELP form. Please note that the form is only available from your provider.

  • fill out your form and make sure you include your TFN (if your information is not assessed as correct by the ATO, your application will not be finalised and you will be ineligible for a HECS-HELP loan);
  • submit your completed form to your provider before the census date (or earlier administrative date);
  • your form must be signed for it to be valid.

If you cannot quote your TFN or supply a Certificate of application for a TFN on or before the census date, you will not be eligible for a HECS-HELP loan. If you do not have a TFN then you will need to arrange a Certificate of application for a TFN from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) (opens in new window).

Contact the ATO on 13 28 61 for TFN information.

Note: You have six weeks from the census date of a unit to correct information you have submitted about your entitlement to HECS-HELP. This includes collecting and submitting the documents you need to prove that you are a citizen. But you still need to submit your Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP form by the census date.

This six-week period can’t be used as an extension of time so that you can apply for citizenship or so that you can get your form in. It also does not include signing a form if you forgot to on the census date. It just gives you the chance to collect the documents you need to prove that you have become a citizen or to change the information on a form you’ve already submitted.

For important information on the census date and administrative date, see Relevant deadlines.