Go to top of page

International students

What financial assistance am I eligible for?

International students are not eligible to access a Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) loan for their study, and must pay the overseas student fees charged by their provider.

General information for international students who intend to study in Australia may be found at www.studyinaustralia.gov.au (opens in a new window), which provides comprehensive information about higher education providers and courses, applying for a place at a higher education provider, course fees, and scholarships.

You may also wish to contact the institution at which you intend to study to ask about other assistance that may be available. You may wish to contact the scholarships office or student support area for information about scholarships and other possible funding sources.

Return to top


Information on a range of scholarships for international students who wish to study in Australia may be found on the Scholarships and Awards page.

Return to top

Making a Complaint

If you are an overseas student in Australia on an overseas student visa, the first step is to have your complaint investigated through your providers internal complaints and appeals processes. This is an important step as your provider must give you a written statement of the outcome of your complaint and the reasons for it.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome, or the way your provider has handled your complaint, you are entitled to take your complaint to an external appeals body. Overseas students enrolled with a public training provider (i.e. University or TAFE) can lodge an external appeal with their State Ombudsman Office. Contact details for the State Ombudsman Offices are available from the websites below:

Overseas students enrolled in a private training provider can lodge an external appeal with the Commonwealth Overseas Students Ombudsman at Commonwealth Overseas Students Ombudsman (opens in new window).

Overseas students at private training providers can also lodge complaints with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC). The ACCC will only have jurisdiction to investigate complaints that are in breach of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010. Visit the ACCC website (opens in a new window) for details on how to submit a complaint.

Return to top

Need more information?

Please see our Frequently Asked Questions or ask a question via the Contact us page.

Return to top