Go to top of page

Bridging study

If you are a professional who became qualified overseas, bridging study will help you get your qualifications recognised so you can work in Australia. 

Only some bridging study can be covered by a FEE-HELP loan. To be eligible for FEE-HELP for bridging studies:

  • You must have trained in a profession overseas.
  • Your profession must be included in the Skilled Occupation List.
  • You must hold an 'assessment statement' from the assessing body of your profession. The relevant assessing body will be in the 'assessing authority' column in the Skilled Occupation List.
  • You must be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident.
  • You must be enrolled in bridging studies at a university or higher education provider that has FEE-HELP loans.
  • You must be in Australia for all of the bridging studies.
  • Your chosen bridging study must:
    • be less than 1 EFSTL (approximately 1 year of study),
    • not lead to a full qualification,
    • not be a general English language course, and
    • not provide a qualification beyond basic entry-level to your profession.



  • If your assessment statement requires you to study more than 1 year (1 EFTSL) to be qualified to work in your profession in Australia, you can't get FEE-HELP.
  • If your assessing body recommends you a course to become qualified, this does not mean you will automatically get FEE-HELP. If a course is 'approved' by the assessing body (for minimum requirements to practice in a profession) this does not mean it is approved for a FEE-HELP loan.
  • Study that is called a 'bridging course', an 'approved course' or 'bridging study' does not automatically mean that it is approved for FEE-HELP loans.
  • 'FEE-HELP for overseas-trained professionals' has specific eligibility requirements that are different from general access to FEE-HELP.