Go to top of page

Contact us

The Study Assist website is managed by The Department of Education however, they might not be the best placed to assist you with your enquiry. Please see below a range of contact options.

Higher education students

If you are a higher education student, use the student enquiry form below if you have a question or feedback.

Please note:

  • If you are interested in study, you can talk directly to the provider where you want to apply to find out if you are eligible for a HELP loan or a Commonwealth supported place (CSP).
  • If you think that you have been charged incorrectly, you must contact your university or education provider to dispute the debt.
  • You can Log in to the ATO's online services via myGov to see how much you owe on your HELP debt or to find out more about repaying your HELP loan through the tax system.
  • To protect your privacy, please DO NOT write your tax file number in the form under any circumstances.

VET students

If your question relates to Vocational Education Training (VET) please refer to the MySkills website.

If you have a VET debt (VET FEE-HELP or VET Student Loan) that you think you should not have to pay, go to the VET Student Loans Ombudsman website.


The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) is responsible for managing an individual's HELP debt. To talk to someone about your HELP debt it is advised you contact the ATO.

Online contact form

Acknowledging the collection and use of your personal information

The information collected helps the Department of Education respond to your enquiry. You are providing your consent to the department to:

  • collect and use your personal information for the purposes of responding to your enquiry,
  • disclose your information to your education/training provider for the purposes of clarifying the nature and status of your enrolment, and
  • disclose your information to other relevant Commonwealth agencies like the Tertiary Education Quality Standards Agency (TEQSA), the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA), the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and Services Australia (Services Australia) to assist them with fulfilling their regulatory/enforcement functions.

Information about how the department manages your personal information, how you may access and correct personal information, and how to make a complaint is available in the department’s Privacy Policy.