The HECS-HELP Benefit was removed on 1 July 2017, but you can still lodge your application for the 2016-17 income year with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). This must be done by 30 June 2019.
The HECS-HELP Benefit offers graduates of particular courses reductions on their compulsory HELP repayments if they take up work in related occupations and specified locations.
Eligible courses for the HECS-HELP Benefit include:
Mathematics, statistics or science
- Graduated from an undergraduate 'natural and physical science' field (mathematics, science or statistics) after 30 June 2008.
- Employed in a related occupation, including as a teacher of these subjects.
You will only be eligible for the HECS-HELP Benefit as a mathematics or science graduate if your course is classified by your university as a 'natural and physical science' course of study.
A 'natural and physical science' course is a course that is listed under the field of 'natural and physical sciences' (Broad Field 01) in the Australian Bureau of Statistics Australian Standard Classification of Education (ASCED) 2001.
Education, nursing or midwifery
- Graduated from an education, nursing or midwifery course required for initial entry to a teaching or nursing profession after 30 June 2009.
- Employed as a teacher or nurse/midwife.
Early childhood education
- Graduated from an early childhood education teaching course.
- Employed as an early childhood teacher.
- Employed by a provider of pre-school education or childcare services in a regional or remote area, Indigenous community or area of high socio‑economic disadvantage.
If you are eligible for more than one type of benefit, you need to lodge a separate application for each benefit by 30 June 2019.