Go to top of page

VET Complaints


I have a complaint about my VET training provider. Where do I go for help?

Please note: the information on this page is relevant only to students enrolled in a vocational education and training (VET) qualification at an approved VET FEE-HELP provider or VET Student Loans provider.

VET students who are not accessing a Commonwealth income contingent loan should follow their provider’s normal complaints and grievance process, call the National Training Complaints Hotline on 13 38 73, or contact the national regulator, the Australian Skills Quality Authority.

If you are a higher education student, go here for information about how to lodge a complaint about your university/higher education provider.

Your provider must have a grievance/complaints and appeals procedure for you to access if you have an academic or non‑academic complaint (See examples below). The instructions for how to lodge a complaint will be available on your provider’s website, usually located with its other student policies/procedures.

This means that your provider should always be your first point of call for any complaints about your study and/or the service you have received from it or its agents. Your provider has a responsibility to you, to try to resolve any matters relating to its operations.

Complaints will either be academic in nature (for example, you may have a disagreement over a grade or poor course/trainer quality) or non-academic (for example, in relation to fees, harassment, discrimination or a policy breach).

Return to top

Making an informal complaint

Depending on the seriousness of your complaint, and if you feel comfortable in doing so, you may wish to approach your tutor, trainer or a person at your provider’s student administration/enrolments area with whom you feel comfortable, to try and resolve the matter informally.

You can always have a friend or support person with you when talking to your provider.

Return to top

Making a formal complaint

This is a formal process so you must lodge your complaint with your provider via its official form, which should be available from its website. If you lodge a formal complaint, your provider must give you a response within the reasonable timeframe outlined in its policy.

*Internal appeal
If you disagree with your provider’s decision, you can lodge an internal appeal. The appeal must be considered by an independent senior officer or by a dedicated complaints committee at your provider. In this situation, you must be given a written statement of the outcome of your appeal, including full details of your provider’s reasons for its decision. Your provider’s policy must include a reasonable timeframe for the response.

*External review of internal appeal
If you disagree with your provider’s decision on your internal appeal, you can ask for your complaint to be reviewed by the external person or body nominated by your provider (the details of whom you must contact in this situation will be in your provider’s formal complaints policy).

*Still not satisfied?
If you are not satisfied with the outcome after following your provider’s formal complaint process, or you believe your provider is either treating you unfairly or is breaching/has breached its legal requirements (i.e. it didn’t follow the steps it said it would in its formal complaint process), you may submit a complaint to the relevant regulator for your provider (see the contacts below for 'Complaints about provider quality') or see the contacts below for 'Other avenues for student complaints'.

Return to top

Complaints about provider quality

Any complaints about poor course or trainer quality for nationally registered training organisations (RTOs) should be directed to the Australian Skills Quality Agency (ASQA).

However, if the organisation is registered in Victoria or Western Australia, complaints should be directed to the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority or the WA Training Accreditation Council.

Please note: ASQA does not address individual student complaints, but uses the information received through student complaints to ensure providers are delivering quality training and assessment services.

Return to top

Other avenues for student complaints

If you have a complaint or query about the VET sector, you can contact the National Training Complaints Hotline on 13 38 73 (Monday to Friday, from 8 am to 6 pm nationally) or via email at: NTCH [at] education.gov.au.

If you incurred a VET FEE-HELP debt before 1 January 2016 because you:

  • were offered money, a phone/laptop or some sort of voucher or other type of inducement/incentives to sign up,
  • were told that a course was free (or not informed that the VET FEE‑HELP was a loan that needed to be repaid),
  • received unsolicited contact from a provider or its agent (cold-calling),
  • are dissatisfied with a provider’s response to your request to cancel a debt if you never enrolled,

you can contact the Department of Education and Training by completing the VET FEE-HELP debt complaints - online enquiry form.

Return to top

Public VET providers

If you are studying with a public VET provider (i.e. a TAFE or public university that offers VET courses) and your complaint relates to a perceived breach of your provider’s policies and procedures (i.e. it didn’t follow the steps it said it would in its formal complaint process), you can lodge an external appeal with the Ombudsman in the state or territory where your provider is located.

The contact details for these Ombudsman Offices are:

Return to top

Private VET providers

If you are studying at a private VET provider, you can lodge your complaint with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC). The ACCC will only have jurisdiction (i.e. the power) to investigate complaints that are in breach of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010. Visit the ACCC website for details on how to submit a complaint.

Return to top

I couldn't finish my course - do I still have to pay for it?

In certain circumstances, you can apply to your provider to request that your debt be cancelled if your situation meets the defined 'special circumstances’ criteria. For example, this process would not apply if you ‘forgot’ to hand in your assignments or got bored and stopped going to your classes.

If you meet the 'special circumstances' you will need to apply to your provider in accordance with its policy - (search for your provider's Special Circumstances' or 'Review and Re-credit Policy’). This policy should be available on your provider’s website (if you can’t find it, you need to call your provider to request it). You should submit your request your provider following your provider's policy and procedure document.

Where possible, keep written records and copies of all correspondence/interactions with your provider. This will be particularly important in case there are further disputes in the process, and to prove your situation if you have to escalate your request.

Please note: There are no avenues available to have your debt cancelled if you successfully completed your unit of study.

Return to top

I have a debt I know nothing about. What do I do?

Before 1 January 2016:
You will need to lodge a formal complaint with your provider. To check the name of the provider that reported your debt, you will need to log into the myUniAssist portal using your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN).

If you don’t have your CHESSN, you can submit an email enquiry via the Student HELP Loans Enquiry form to request your CHESSN. The Department of Education and Training will then be able to email your CHESSN to you.

However, if you incurred a VET FEE-HELP debt in the past because you were subjected to the offer of inducements, cold-calling, or other unacceptable behavior by a provider or its agent (or someone else who said they were representing the provider or the Australian Government), or you are dissatisfied with the provider’s response to your request to remove a debt if you never enrolled, you can contact the department with your concerns via the VET FEE-HELP debt complaints online enquiry form.

Protections for VET FEE-HELP students from 1 January 2016:
If you experienced unacceptable conduct by your provider (or its agent) that resulted in you incurring a debt on or after 1 January 2016, follow this link to find out more.

Return to top