If you are a professional who became qualified overseas, bridging study will help you get your qualifications recognised so you can work in Australia.

Only some bridging study can be covered by a FEE-HELP loan. To be eligible for FEE-HELP for bridging studies:

  • You must have trained in a profession overseas.
  • Your profession must be included in the Skilled Occupation List(Opens in a new tab/window).
  • You must hold an 'assessment statement' from the assessing body of your profession. The relevant assessing body will be in the 'assessing authority' column in the Skilled Occupation List(Opens in a new tab/window).
  • You must be an Australian citizen, a permanent visa holder, a permanent humanitarian visa holder (or an eligible former permanent humanitarian visa holder), a New Zealand Special Category Visa (SCV) holder (or a permanent visa holder who was formerly an eligible New Zealand Special Category Visa (SCV) holder) who meets the long term residency requirements.
  • You must be enrolled in bridging studies at a university or higher education provider that has FEE-HELP loans.
  • You must be in Australia for all of the bridging studies.
  • Your chosen bridging study must:
    • be less than 1 EFSTL (approximately 1 year of study),
    • not lead to a full qualification,
    • not be a general English language course, and
    • not provide a qualification beyond basic entry-level to your profession.


  • FEE-HELP can be used for a 'bridging course of study' as long as all the eligibility requirements are met. For a course to be deemed a 'bridging course of study' it is required to be one EFTSL or less. The number of FEE-HELP loans an individual can receive for a 'bridging course of study' is not limited. If a student enrols in more than one 'bridging course of study' to meet the requirements of one assessment statement and keeps each course under one EFTSL, it is possible for an individual to be eligible for FEE-HELP for both 'bridging courses of study'.
  • If your assessing body recommends you a course to become qualified, this does not mean you will automatically get FEE-HELP. If a course is 'approved' by the assessing body (for minimum requirements to practice in a profession) this does not mean it is approved for a FEE-HELP loan.
  • Study that is called a 'bridging course', an 'approved course' or 'bridging study' does not automatically mean that it is approved for FEE-HELP loans.
  • 'FEE-HELP for overseas-trained professionals' has specific eligibility requirements that are different from general access to FEE-HELP.