When you attend university or an approved higher education provider, you can get a HECS-HELP loan to pay for your studies. You can only get a HECS-HELP loan if you are enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place (CSP).
A HECS-HELP loan does not cover costs like accommodation, laptops or text books.
Your provider will assess your eligibility for a HELP loan against the criteria below. If you have any questions, please contact your provider.
To get a HECS-HELP loan, you must:
- be studying in a Commonwealth supported place.
- be an Australian citizen and meet the residency requirements (you must study at least part of your course in Australia).
- be a New Zealand Special Category Visa (SCV) holder or permanent humanitarian visa holder and meet the residency requirements.
- submit the Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP form to your provider by the census date.
- be enrolled in each unit/subject at your provider by the census date.
To apply for a HECS-HELP loan, you will need a tax file number (TFN) and a Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP form, which your university or higher education provider will give you.
Your form must be filled in and submitted to your provider before the census date (or administrative date).