Go to top of page

New rules about getting student payments while overseas

3 January 2013

The rules for continuing to receive a student payment (Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY) for a temporary absence overseas, changed on 1 January 2013.

If you are a full-time student receiving a student payment and will be outside Australia temporarily, you may be able to continue to get your payment for up to 6 weeks if you continue to meet the criteria for a student payment.

To find out more, visit the Department of Human Services Website at www.humanservices.gov.au (opens in a new window).