Go to top of page

Withdrawing from study

I don't want to study anymore

To cancel your study, you must complete your university or higher education provider's formal withdrawal process by the census date.

Check with your provider what their process is. Ask them if there is a form to complete and where you need to send it.

Each provider's process for withdrawing is different. Make sure you:

  • withdraw in writing on the official form (paper or online). You need to withdraw from every unit of study you are enrolled in.
  • submit the form in time (by the census date!)
  • keep a copy of any withdrawal documents as proof that you withdrew.

If you are studying more than one course, or are studying at more than one provider, you have to withdraw from each one.


Withdrawing after the census date

If you cancel your study after the census date, you still owe the fees. This means that you will still have a HELP debt to repay and you will lose any upfront payment you made.

Your provider might also have extra academic and financial penalties.

There are some exceptions where you can cancel your study after the census date and not be charged.

To get this, you must be able to prove that you missed the date because of special circumstances. You will need evidence to prove this before you apply.