It's important to compare courses when you're deciding what and where to study. Many universities and higher education providers offer the same course, so it is up to you to find out which one suits you best.

If you want to study with a higher education provider, you can compare course and admission information on the CourseSeeker website. To compare student experiences and graduate employment outcomes visit ComparED.

Other things to consider

Types of qualifications

Vocational education and training (VET)

VET qualifications include certificates I - IV, diplomas, advances diplomas, graduate certificates and graduate diplomas. You can do a VET course at TAFE or a private provider. Compare VET courses and prices at Your Career(Opens in a new tab/window).

Undergraduate Study

Bachelor degrees are the most common undergraduate qualifications and usually take three years of full-time study to complete.

Bachelor degrees introduce students to general fields rather than teaching specific skills needed for specific jobs.

Undergraduate degrees are usually studied at university but can also be studied at private higher education providers (also known as Non-University Higher Education Providers) and TAFEs. The type of Commonwealth financial assistance (loan types) available to students will differ.

Postgraduate Study

Postgraduate study is undertaken after you have completed your undergraduate degree.

Postgraduate study includes graduate certificates, graduate diplomas, master's degrees, or a doctor of philosophy (PhD or doctorate).

Online Study

Many qualifications are offered online.

If you do online study, make sure you have access to a computer on a regular basis and suitable internet access.

Mode of study

You can choose qualifications that are offered online, face to face or a mix of both.


Consider the price of the qualification.

  • The same course can have different prices at different providers.
  • If the qualification is more expensive, ask the provider why.

Check if there are any extra costs or if you have to buy equipment.

  • The price listed for a qualification is only for the course. You may need to buy textbooks, laptops and equipment.
  • You may need to buy a uniform when doing a work placement.
  • You may have to pay for travel, accommodation and meals when doing internships

Payment options

You may be able to get HELP (or a VET Student Loan(Opens in a new tab/window)) to pay for your course.

If you have to pay your fees upfront, you can talk to your provider about payment plans, scholarships or other financial assistance that might be available to you.

Job prospects

  • Before you study, you can check the job prospects of your chosen career on the ComparED(Opens in a new tab/window) website.
  • Ask your provider if job placements/internships are part of the qualification.