If you are not satisfied with your university or higher education provider, you can submit a complaint. All providers are required to have a grievance procedure for dealing with academic and non-academic matters, which deliver timely and fair resolution of complaints.

Always keep written records about your complaint in case you need them as proof later. The first step is to talk to the student administration area of your provider to resolve the complaint.

After this, if you wish to make a formal complaint, it must be submitted to your provider using their official form. Contact your provider and ask them about their process.

A formal complaint requires a response or decision in writing from your provider.

If you have exhausted your provider's grievance procedures and are still not satisfied with the outcome, you can contact the relevant ombudsman if you are studying at a public university, or the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) if you are studying with a private higher education provider.

Seeking a review of your complaint decision

If you are studying with a public provider and you have followed the internal grievance process and an outcome is not satisfactorily reached, you can make a complaint to the Ombudsman in the state or territory where your provider is located.

The contact details for these Ombudsman offices are:

The relevant Ombudsman cannot make a fresh decision, rather they consider the way a decision was made and whether the provider’s policies were followed. They can make recommendations on how the decision or process could be improved.

If you are studying at a private provider, you can lodge your complaint with the ACCC(Opens in a new tab/window). The ACCC will only investigate complaints that are in breach of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010.

I have a complaint about the quality of teaching

If your complaint is about your higher education course or lecturer, you can contact the Tertiary Education Quality Standards Agency (TEQSA)(Opens in a new tab/window) to submit a complaint.

TEQSA does not respond directly to complaints or investigate one-off events, but it does consider issues as part of its broader quality assurance and compliance role of providers and the sector.

I am a VET student

You can make a complaint(Opens in a new tab/window) about your VET FEE-HELP or VET Student Loans provider.

I am an international student

Overseas students studying at a public university or TAFE can submit their complaint to their State Ombudsman.

Overseas students studying at a private training provider can submit an external complaint with the Commonwealth Overseas Students Ombudsman(Opens in a new tab/window).